- December 16, 2015
- Posted by: emobile
- Category: Trending Issues
FACTS ON PROSTATE CANCER
- It is the most commonest male cancer
- The chances of having it increase as male gets older
- It can spread to affect nearby organs and this could be highly dangerous and life threatening
- Test on Prostate cancer looks out for the increase in PSA level and abnormality in rectal
- Increase in PSA level may also be a prostrate infection and not prostate cancer
- Rectal exams can find cancer even when PSA level does not suggest cancer.
- Low PSA doesn’t mean male can’t be affected with prostate cancer.
- Rectal exam can find prostate cancers in men with low PSA level
- It is mostly common in African men
- It could be inherited
- 17% out of 100 men who are above 50yrs will be diagnosed during their life time
- 3 out of 100 who are above 50yrs die of prostate cancer
- Pain when urine is passed
- Blood in the urine
- Frequent urination especially at night
- Weak or interrupted urination
- Painful ejaculation
SO WHY THE NEED FOR TEST?
- To discover early cancer while it is still small before it spreads
- Increases chances of being treated to avoid death
- Early treatment could prevent the spread of prostate cancer to other organ
- A preventive medicine for peace of mind
ISSUES ONE CAN GET WITH TEST
- It might find other non-problematic cancer
- Discovery its presence might lead to treatments and treatments has side effect like problem controlling urine, bowels and problem having sex
At 50, men should talk to their doctors about testing for prostate cancer who will discuss extensively the risks and benefits of testing. The decision to test is entirely yours.