- December 17, 2015
- Posted by: emobile
- Category: Trending Issues
Infertility is a global problem and a public health concern in many parts of sub-Saharan Africa. Infertility remains a common gynecological and social problem.
It is a disease of reproductive system defined by the failure to achieve a clinical pregnancy after 12 months or more of regular unprotected sexual intercourse.
SOME FACTS ABOUT INFERTILITY:
- 8-12% of couples worldwide are affected.
- 6% and 10% in the United Kingdom and United States of America respectively.
- 30-40% In sub-Saharan Africa.
- 20-30% in Nigeria.
ASSISTED REPRODUCTIVE TECHNOLOGIES
- This refers to all treatments or procedures that include the handling of human oocytes or embryos for the purpose of establishing a pregnancy. It could be any of the below procedures:
- Ivf :- in vitro fertilization.
- Icsi :- intracytoplasmic sperm injection.
- Imsi :- intracytoplasmic morphologically selected sperm injection.
- Gift :- gamete intrafallopian transfer.
- Zift :- zygote intrafallopian transfer.
- Gamete/ embryo cryopreservation, oocyte/embryo donation.
What is IN VITRO FERTILIZATION?
It is a technique of letting fertilization of the male and female gametes occur outside the female body.
WHEN IS IVF NEEDED: It is needed when there are indications below:
|Tubal Factor||Severe: Absolute-Mild-Moderate: Relative|
|Male Factor||Severe : Absolute- Mild-Moderate: Relative|
|Immunological (Antisperm antibody)||Relative|
Absolute for Oocyte & Embryo Cryopreservation
|Pre-Implantation Genetic Diagnosis
Any couple with any of the above should consult fertility expert. You can also consult the site fertility specialist.
- IVF/ICSI/IMSI has revolutionalized the management of infertility.
- Although single ET has been advocated, DET OR 3ET increases pregnancy rate but with risk & complications of multiple pregnancy.
- USS guided ET improves pregnancy rate.
- Luteal support is beneficial but no clear cut recommendation on the best approach.